1Department of Dental Sciences, Narayana Dental College, Nellore, India.
Corresponding Author: Preetham kodimoole, Department of Dental Sciences, Narayana Dental College, Nellore, India,
Tel: + 09901189035; E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Received Date: 13 Mar 2017
Accepted Date: 13 Mar 2017
Published Date: 14 Mar 2017
Copyright © 2017 Kodimoole P
Citation: Kodimoole P. (2017). Oil Pulling for the Good Oral Health. Mathews J Dentistry. 2(1): 015.
Oil pulling or gargling is the rinsing of oil around the mouth. When oil pulling, a person should use 1 tablespoon of oil for about 20 minutes. It is one of the home remedy and folk remedy used and practised by many people especially in the southern part of India. The oil used is either the coconut oil or sesame oil. This procedure is a fantastic oral detoxification procedure with a simple method of oil rinsing the mouth for 10 to 20 minutes per day. This method works as a detergent used for the clothes to get cleaned, i.e., similar way that happens in the oral cavity. It literally removes the toxins from the mouth and it creates bacteria free environment in the oral cavity which facilitates the proper flow of saliva that prevents the gum diseases as well as the cavities.
Advantages of Oil Pulling to the Oral Cavity
1. It prevents the tooth decay.
2. It prevents the halitosis (Bad Breath).
3. It prevents the gingivitis and reduces the Gum Inflammation.
4. It prevents the sore throat in a long run.
5. It also helps to strengthen the Gums and Jaws.
6. Tooth is whitened and acts as a mouthwash.
In today's generation we all use the toothpaste, mouthwashes and flossing which has become a day to day part in our life. Our older generation never used the toothbrush and toothpastes, still their tooth never rotted. They used the neem sticks, charcoals etc. They ate the real food which are less sugary and less acidic (phytic acid).This type of foods are instrumental in the destruction of the tooth enamel. Oil pulling Phenomena is one of the ancient traditional ayurvedic medicinal procedure practiced in India. Now it is spreading worldwide too. There has been a particular holistic approach of studies regarding the oil pulling procedure.
What happens when we follow this practice? Oil pulling helps significantly in reducing the aerobic microorganisms present in the oral cavity which mainly results in the form of plaque. Plaque ultimately leads in the formation of calculus which may lead to gingivitis. Gingivitis results in sore gums as well as the inflammation. Later ginivitis leads to the Periodontitis which results in the loosening of the teeth and the loss of bone strength to the tooth in the later stages of the life. It significantly acts as a mouthwash at improving the bad breath and reducing the microorganisms that cause it.
How this Procedure is Done
1. This procedure should be done before the brush in the early morning or drink anything.
2. Gently take two spoons of oil in a tablespoon and rinse the mouth for 10 to 20 minutes. Do this procedure gently as it may be stressful for the jaws and the cheeks as well.
3. Caution: Make sure not to swallow during the gargling, It contains full of toxins. The only danger seen is if the oil is swallowed after it has absorbed any bacteria or toxins from the mouth.
4. Spit out the oil and rinse with the normal water.
5. Brushing of the teeth to be followed later.
Oil gargling is a simple procedure with much effective results. If a person can spend 10 to 20 minutes like while taking the shower or at the early work during the house work, or may be during the pass time too is recommended.
Oil pulling will not have any effects in the tooth filling, crowns etc. This procedure helps in the removal of bacterial infection, pus etc. It cannot displace any amalgam, composite restorations and the tooth crowns. Within a week people can start noticing the cleaner mouthy, healthier gums as well.
1. Occasional gag relex
2. Stressful in the cheeks and may cause soreness in the jaws.